Sunday, May 5, 2013

Self Portraits

Here is Sharon's first self portrait:  "The small self portrait was completed in a 15 minute challenge to portray myself as quickly as I could using what was on hand at my table at the moment. Not over thought or overwrought, I quite enjoy this vision of myself playing with joy and abandonment in my fabric."



Sharon
 For her second one she said: 
"Every bit of this self portrait contains portions of my life. In a small school of fish, I am swimming the other way. The hair is made from the ruffles and seams of my old prom dress, the brooch was my grandmothers. There are embroidered words of who I am closest to my face, and other words of what I want to be and to have in the future further away. There are mirrors to show my reflection on life, and holes of different sizes to show my fear of not knowing what I don't know. Even not knowing, I will still dive into the future, accepting what lies ahead (the beaded silhouette). Hand stitched with seed stitch embroidery on shibori fabric I dyed, and hand beaded."
Sharon



Marsha said
"As I contemplated my self-portrait, I wanted to portray my love of reading. I've been an avid reader since I first learned the skill and it has been a constant my entire life. I printed photos on fabric for the face and hands and then added the other details with raw edge, fused, machine applique. The book titles represent other aspects of my life, including my daughter, dancing with my husband, quilting, traveling and my careers as a museum historian and a librarian."
Marsha
Judy did two as well:
Tools of the Trade

Judy's hands
"Tools of the Trade"
"My self portrait was interpreted to mean, "What I use to create". Therefore I took a picture of my tools. Transferring the photo to silk and then quilting. In the border I added a ribbon tape measure, to remember the rule. Measure twice, cut once."

No comments:

Post a Comment